03 April 2005

Though my dreams, it’s never quite as it seems

Earlier today I rather cavalierly referred to Throreau's famous words, "Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." As many times as I had previously read these words, I don't think I had ever been struck as hard by the weight of their meaning as I was today. I realized that I really have no idea what my dreams are. Naturally, I have some vague notions of being a writer, of traveling the world, of falling in love. But dreams. Dreams with meat on their bones and a headstrong desire to become real. These I fear that I lack.

In my life thus far, I have made mere plans for the future as far as what I would like to do. I have made decisions when it was required of me. But go in the direction of my dreams? No. That I definitely have not done- I don't even really know what my dreams are.

If I could have any life I chose- and essentially I can- what would it look like? What is the life I'd imagine for myself? Perhaps what Thoreau is really advising us to do in this quote is first to dream. How rare it is in my daily life that I really and truly do this. How is it that I am so disconnected from my essence, from my heart, that I don't even know what life I'd imagine for myself? And yet, I know I am not the only who finds herself on this path, head bent against the winds of the world.

Now I'm sure that there will be some conservative backlash to this post, asking where I see the will of God in all this talk of self-determination. Bring it on. But how much of that will really just be said (or thought) out of fear of exploring one's wildest dreams? If you could wake up tomorrow and your life could be anything that you wanted it to be, what would it be like? How would it be different? Or would it be different?

1 Comments:

Blogger r.m said...

I really like your post. Conscious living (e.g. setting goals, following your bliss, living your dreams) has the potential to offer great rewards and is the surest path to a fulfilling life, yet most of us fail to go this route because it requires getting to know ourselves first. This requires great effort and can also be quite scary if we don't like what we find. Most of us look for happiness outside of ourselves so that we don't have to blame ourselves when we don't find it - much easier on our psyche.

I hope you'll make the time to dream and to fill in the details around the vague notions that you already have. Most importantly, I hope you find your bliss!

April 05, 2005 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home