07 April 2005

Runner's High

I usually refrain from posting about the day-to-day goings on in my life but today I absolutely cannot resist. For, this afternoon was one of, if not the, most glorious afternoons of my life. I will go so far as to say its right up there with jumping off the waterfall in Kauai. And that's saying a lot. This after I….drumroll please…I ran 10 miles! For the first time, ever, in my 22 years, I ran 10 miles! Altogether and without interruption (well, unless you count walk breaks)! Hours later, and the adrenaline rush is only beginning to fade. I feel initiated into the true brethren of runners having experienced runner's high so fully. I have been dashing around like a proverbial crack bunny, doing things at a positively frenetic pace ever since.

Now, it would be unfair for me to claim that I entirely enjoyed the actual running of the 10 miles. I actually hadn't even set out to do a long run today. But for some bizarre reason, perhaps it was the excellent tunes in my mp3 player or perhaps it was the energy shake I'd had from Freshens, I decided around mile 2 that today I would go all the way to 10. I began to regret this decision by mile 5. And again at miles 6, 7, and 8. Mile 9, forget it, I was not much more than a puddle on the treadmill at that point. But Mile 10, oh glorious 10, I was filled with glee and shaking from exhaustion.

Don't ask me why, but there's just something magical about 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home