23 July 2005

The journey begins...

First of al I want to thank everyone who came to my birthday festivities! It was wonderful to get to spend time with all of you before heading out on my journey.

About the journey so far- Interestingly, but not surprisingly, my triathlon training skills have already come in handy as S and I had to make a frantic dash through the Atlanta airport, backpacks swinging and flip flops flapping, dodging small children, strollers, wheelchairs, and angry Philadelphians. There were escalators and the airport train to contend with but at last we made it to our plane, which we then got to sit in on the runway for an hour, courtesy of Hotlanta airport. Our plane to Hotlanta had been an hour late courtesy of Airtran (so much courtesy going around!) which was what had spawned this mad dash. Maybe they just sensed that S and I wanted some exercise. In any case, I am now considering signing up for competitive airport running. I really think its the urban sport of the future.

Nonetheless, once we had been sufficiently bitched at by the grouchy flight attendants (remind me never to fly this airline again no matter how cheap it is) we arrived safely in Denver where S's extremely kind relatives and a comfy bed awaited us.

This morning one of S's kindly relations took us on a drive in the mountains on the Peak to Peak highway. And I really must take this moment to insert that they really are most generous. Tomorrow they are throwing a party in our (okay mainly her) honor! The highway was, needless to say, quite breathtaking. Apparently in the late 1800s and early twentieth century it was quite the tourist hot spot- hotels along the way might cost as much as one month's wages for one night!

Right now we are in Boulder for the night. I like it very much, as it is a very clean city and the inhabitants are many times friendlier than the airtran flight attendants. And it is chock full of both bookstores and coffee shops- which are 2 of my favorite things. And yet somehow I don't quite connect with its energy- or lack thereof. Its as though the people are so intent on being peaceful and zenlike that they have forgotten about a grittier, rawer side to themselves. Can too much inner peace be a bad thing? But I'm now about to head out to the bars, so perhaps a different side of Boulder is in store...

2 Comments:

Blogger chewie said...

Thanks for blogging about your trip! Very nice to meet S. Interesting take on Boulder... I always heard it praised as a mecca of sorts so it's good to get the critical take.

July 25, 2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger r.m said...

I definitely think there can be too much harmony. I much prefer a city with a little edge, a little seediness to provide character. Seattle struck me as a city lacking that edge (maybe I just didn't go to the right places).

July 25, 2005 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home